Our History

 

Where did AAS come from?

 

In 1968 the Atlanta Bird Club, established in 1926, voted to become a branch/chapter of the National Audubon Society, then in 1972 the Atlanta Bird Club voted to change their name to the Atlanta Audubon Society.

 

A bit more history of Atlanta Audubon Society

 

The Atlanta Bird Club was established in 1926. The mission statement the Atlanta Bird Club was "for the study, protection, and appreciation of birds".

 

Monthly bird walks were held in and around the Atlanta area.

 

On Sunday, December 13, 1936, twenty-two people from the Atlanta Bird Club met in Atlanta, and from this meeting came the Georgia Ornithological Society, a statewide organization with means to contact with other bird student throughout the state.

Both the Atlanta Bird Club and the Georgia Ornithological Society continue working in Georgia for the benefit of birds and birders.

 

Here are a few notable items from our history.

 

1965 Dues for the Atlanta Bird Club were $2 for adults and $1 for students.

 

1968 the Atlanta Bird Club voted to become a branch/chapter of the National Audubon Society.

 

1972 the Atlanta Bird Club voted to change their name to the Atlanta Audubon Society (AAS) with Wally Dryfoos as the first President. After a successful year at AAS Mr Dryfoos was the president of the Georgia Ornithological Society 1973-1975.

 

1976 AAS started the annual members photography contest.

 

1977 AAS started to recognize backyard sanctuaries and worked to educate homeowners.

 

1978 AAS member Laurie Stubbs Johns donated 7 acres in DeKalb to AAS in honor of her late husband.

 

1978 The Louisa G. Echols scholarship was created - to honor and provide an opportunity for an adult to attend a National Audubon workshop.

 

1979 The Upper Flint River Audubon Society merged with the Atlanta Audubon Society.

 

1980 The AAS newsletter is renamed "Wingbars".

 

1984 AAS started supporting Audubon Adventures in Atlanta area classrooms.

 

1989 AAS participated in the first annual 'Birdathon' fundraiser.

 

1991 The Edward Barnsley Scholarship was created to send a young student to an Audubon or similar nature camp.

 

1995 AAS gets its first email address.

 

1996 The Shade Grown Coffee committee was formed to educate the public on effects of coffee on the environment.

 

1997 Mrs Daniel Geltner donated 186 acres of land in Douglas County to AAS.

 

1999 Longtime AAS member Anslem Atkins, Wingbars editor 1981-1997 (16 years) passed away.

 

1999 The Anslem Atkins scholarship was established to fund a 2 week residency at the Hambridge Center.

 

2000 Atlanta Audubon opened their first office in Midtown Atlanta at 1447 Peachtree Rd.

 

2000 Hired Jim Wilson to head up the Georgia Important Birds area program at the new office.

 

2000 AAS wins 2nd place in National Audubon Large Chapter website contest.

 

2000 First Georgia Important Bird Area is awarded to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park in November.

 

2001 AAS joins EarthShare of Georgia

 

2001 AAS help fund observation platform at the Clyde Shepard Nature Preserve

 

2002 Started the AAS Master Birder Program.

 

2002 AAS started the Backyard Sanctuary Tours.

 

2003 AAS wins award for setting up a habitat at the Southeastern Flower Show.

 

2005 Youth Birding Competition is created.

 

2005 Created the Freedom Park Birds and Butterfly Garden at Candler Park.

 

2006 Moved the AAS office to the Dunwoody Nature Center.

 

2006 Created the Georgia Birding Skills Program.

 

2006 The educational program Learning About Birds initative started.

 

2007 AAS hired Catharine Kuchar as our first Executive Director.

 

2007 The 'Birds Matter' conservation theme introduced.

 

2009 Moved from the Dunwoody Nature Center to the Blue Heron Nature Preserve in North Buckhead.

 

2009 Hired Emily Toriani-Moura as our first Education Coordinator.

 

2010 AAS holds first International Bird Trip to Columbia.

 


 

Over the years members have worked to provide assistance in conservation efforts throughout.

 

Projects such as saving a section of Piedmont Park as a natural habitat in 1956, contributing to Ornithological studies at the then new Fernbank Science Center in 1966, working to protect a natural area in Alaska in the 1970's, continuing to support the area Christmas Bird Counts each year and many more efforts.

 

There are too many achievements to list here. Please stop by the Atlanta Audubon Office and view the newsletter archives for more historical information.

 

Field trips continue to be the best avenue to meet birds and birders.

 

Thanks to the Georgia Ornithological Society for some of this content.